The Best Energy Value
Here are five reasons why the American Gas Association thinks natural gas is the best energy value for the 21st Century:
Natural Gas is America's Natural Wonder
- Natural gas use has increased by 35 percent over the last decade, and is projected to grow by 45 percent by 2015.
- Natural gas costs homeowners less to use in your home than electricity, heating oil, propane or kerosene. On average, electricity costs almost four times more than natural gas.
- Natural gas customers paid less for their gas in 1998 than they did in 1987 – about 24 percent less, in inflation-adjusted dollars.
Natural Gas is the Cleanest and Most Efficient Fossil Fuel
- More than 90 percent of the natural gas we use in the United States comes from North America, and supplies are abundant.
- The two-million-mile underground natural gas delivery system has an outstanding safety record.
- Regardless of the weather, you can depend on your natural gas utility to bring you America's best energy value.
Natural Gas is Safe, Reliable and it's Made in America
- Natural gas is today's environmental energy choice. Increased use of natural gas can help address several environmental concerns simultaneously, including smog, acid rain and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Most electricity in the United States comes from coal, which produces far more emissions than natural gas.
- Gas utilities employ more than 151,000 people in all 50 states, with an annual payroll of nearly $6.7 billion.
- Natural gas provides about 24 percent of all the energy used in the United States. That's a third of the energy, excluding transportation fuels.
- Natural gas utilities operate and maintain more than 1.2 million miles of safe, efficient underground pipes – an energy-delivery system that is the envy of the world.
Your Natural Gas Utility is Your Neighbor and Your Trusted Energy Partner
- Gas utilities serve more than 60 million customers.
- Your local gas utility has an investment in and a commitment to your community. Many gas utilities have been serving their customers for more than 80 years.
- Natural gas utilities are innovative and reliable, providing customers with a variety of services, products and, most importantly, America's best energy value.