Newsroom

Newsroom

Latest on the Incident in Merrimack Valley | Incidente en Merrimack Valley

Sep 14, 2018

Updated 9/14 at 11:10 a.m.

What happened in the Merrimack Valley yesterday was a tragic incident. We are saddened to learn of the death of a young man as a result of these events. Our thoughts and continued support are with those who have been injured and affected. We are focused on providing as much support as possible to our customers, residents and communities. We are grateful for the community’s patience, as well as the tremendous support we have received from our first responder and law enforcement partners.

As part of response efforts, Columbia Gas crews need to visit each of the 8,600 affected customers to shut off each gas meter and conduct a safety check. More than 500 resources from several affiliated Columbia Gas companies and other utilities are currently mobilizing to provide assistance.

Please do not enter your house unless you are accompanied by a gas company representative.

We expect this will be an extended restoration effort, and we are working tirelessly to restore service to the affected customers.

The Red Cross has established shelters at the following locations. They will accommodate pets. For more information, call 1-774-204-5071.

  • Arlington School, 150 Arlington Street, Lawrence
  • Parthum School, 255 Haverhill Street, Lawrence
  • North Andover High School, 430 Osgood Street, North Andover
  • Cormier Youth Center, 40 Whittier Court, Andover

We are working with the appropriate authorities to investigate this incident. If you’re concerned about your gas service, we will schedule a safety check.

If customers have shut off their gas meter on their own, do not attempt to turn your service back on and please wait for additional instructions.

If a customer smells an odor of natural gas, they should leave the area immediately, move to a safe location and call 911 and our emergency number at 1-800-525-8222.

If a customer smells an odor of natural gas:

  • Don’t turn off gas to your house or to any appliances.
  • Don’t try to find the leak yourself or operate pipeline valves.
  • Don’t light a match or candle, or operate anything that could cause a spark, including home phones or cell phones, lights, appliances, flashlights, power tools, etc.
  • Don’t open the windows and doors in an attempt to ventilate.

Incident Contact Numbers

Property Claims Hotline – 1-800-590-5571

Dedicated Customer Service – 1-866-388-3239

Gas Emergency - 1-800-525-8222


Actualizado el 9/14 a las 11:10 a.m.

Lo que sucedió en el Merrimack ayer fue un incidente trágico. Lamentamos saber de la muerte de un joven como resultado de estos eventos. Nuestros pensamientos y apoyo siguen con aquellos que han sido heridos y afectados. Estamos enfocados en brindar el mayor apoyo posible a nuestros clientes, residentes y comunidades. Estamos agradecidos por la paciencia de la comunidad, y también por el tremendo apoyo que hemos recibido de nuestros primeros respondedores y la policía.

Como parte de los esfuerzos, las equipos de Columbia Gas deben visitar a cada uno de los 8,600 clientes afectados para cerrar cada medidor de gas y realizar un control de seguridad. Más de 500 recursos de varias compañías afiliadas de Columbia Gas y otros servicios públicos se están movilizando para brindar asistencia.

No entra a su casa a menos que esté acompañado por un representante de la compañía de gas.

Esperamos que este sea un esfuerzo de restauración prolongado, y estamos trabajando incansablemente para restaurar el servicio a los clientes afectados.

Hemos establecido una línea dedicada para los clientes afectados. Por favor llámenos al 1-866-388-3239.

La Cruz Roja ha establecido refugios en los siguientes lugares. Ellos acomodarán mascotas. Para obtener más información, llame al 1-774-204-5071.

  • Arlington School, 150 Arlington Street, Lawrence
  • Parthum School, 255 Haverhill Street, Lawrence
  • North Andover High School, 430 Osgood Street, North Andover
  • Cormier Youth Center, 40 Whittier Court, Andover

Estamos trabajando con las autoridades para investigar este incidente. Si le preocupa su servicio de gas, programaremos un control de seguridad.

Si los clientes han apagado su medidor de gas por sí mismos, NO intente volver a encender su servicio y espere por instrucciones adicionales.

Si un cliente huele a gas, debe abandonar el área de inmediato, mudarse a un lugar seguro y llamar al 911 y nuestro número de emergencia al 1-800-525-8222.

Si un cliente huele a gas natural:

  • No apague el gas a su casa ni a ningún electrodoméstico.
  • No intente encontrar la fuga usted mismo ni opere las válvulas de la tubería.
  • No encienda un fósforo ni una vela, ni opere nada que pueda provocar una chispa, incluidos teléfonos domésticos, celulares, luces, electrodomésticos, linternas, herramientas eléctricas, etc.
  • No abra las ventanas ni las puertas.

Números de contacto de incidente

Línea directa de reclamos de propiedad– 1-800-590-5571

Servicio de atención al cliente – 1-866-388-3239

Emergencia de gas – 1-800-525-8222